[Sca-cooks] More on the Slovenian salt works

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 17:37:01 PST 2003

Yesterday I forwarded to this list a message I got about restoration of these
salt works. I also emailed Silvana, explaining that I was not an importer (I
get a ****load of messages from folks trying to get me to import/buy textiles,
plastic toys, a container load of a spice, etc. I had also asked what she
meant by the talassotherapy centre she mentioned and mention our talking about
  medieval salt production on this list previously. I tried to briefly explain
the SCA. Anyway, that gives you the background for some of her comments below.

I am particularly interested in the fact that they are planning on
reconstruting the medieval salt works including the wind driven pumps and the
rest of the area, and not just tearing everything down and trying to compete
with the big commercial salt harvesting companys. Yes, today we still
evaporate sea water to get salt. It is usually done in vacuum evaporators and
resembles any other large industrial process.

So those of you who would like some real medieval sea salt, harvested using
methods used then, this might be your chance.

Silvana's email is: marija.vucic at amis.net

If she gives me permission I will add these two messages to one of my salt-msg
files in the Florilegium. Or perhaps this will eventually be an article or two.

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com