[Sca-cooks] Apples and turnips

Marcus Antaya mantaya at cogeco.ca
Wed Jan 1 10:15:33 PST 2003

I  have an easy, cheap recipe for a creamed turnip that was a HUGE hit at my
first feast...no reason why you couldn't add apples to it...

Cube the turnip and boil until tender.
In a separate pan, melt down lard (or shortening) about a cup. Mince an
onion and sweat them. when they are clear, add 1/4 cup-ish white sugar and
1/4 cup ish brown sugar and a bit of flour. you should get a nice thick
sauce...DON"T let the sugar burn.

drain the turnips as much as you can...just in the pot. leave a little water
in the bottom. then just mix it all together.

Like I said, big hit. and with the sugar in there, no reason you couldn't
add apples into this dish.

Gyric