[Sca-cooks] Nutter page

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 8 21:33:53 PST 2003

At 11:27 PM 1/8/03 -0600, you wrote:

>'Lainie then said:
>> I think Greg is in the Big Easy- keeping busy if not teaching. He's active
>> on the ANSAX list (Anglo-Saxonists and hangers on- mostly lit professors)
>> and IIRC was doing something on Aelfric's Colloquies (not certain though,
>> so don't quote me on that). An incredible scholar, even if he and Norman
>> Hinton butt heads a lot. ;-)
>Yes, he very quickly got over my head when talking about Anglo-Saxon
>monestaries and such. Back when there was the big, long thread on Pennsic
>getting bounced back 1000 years and transported to the Salisbury Plain, I
>remember that he was probably one of the few on the Rialto that knew enough
>Anglo-Saxon to have gotten by, outside of the Pennsic transportees. I believe
>his plan was to leave the quarrelsome SCA behind and go be an advisor to the
>Anglo-Saxon king. :-)
>--

That sounds like Greg alright!

Similar thread (the time-travel thing) pops up on ANSAX and Chaucer-net
about twice a year. Always very interesting. The language barriers are
always the sticking point. And then folks wander off and start talking
about modern medicine and santation and all, and before long I want to
scream- be real! None of us *really* want to go back- we only want to go
back to our Fantasy Middle Ages. Which I suppose is why groups like the SCA
exist- so we can play at a safe distance.

I remember sitting in a session at Kalamazoo with Mike Drout and John
Brinegar (who's SCAdian, Gwion ap Somethinglongandwelshwithnovowels) and
listening to Greg argue some fine point with one of them (the topic was on
Anglo-Saxon texts on Benedictine reform) and Norman Hinton putting his head
in his hands and muttering "Christ, Greg!"

Quarrelsome SCA, huh? ;-D)

'Lainie