[Sca-cooks] SCA Slaughtering

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Jan 2 09:15:42 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Like skinning a chicken breast or thigh, only bigger and the whole
> animal?
> --maire, admittedly mostly happily clueless about butchering....
>
> Phlip wrote:
> >

> > Skinning is not a big deal, either- for smaller animals, it's rather
like
> > rolling a child out of a sleeping bag, once the initial cuts are made-
for
> > larger animals, other than around certain areas where care needs to be
> > taken, it's simply pull and cut (if necessary) the connective tissue,
> > between the hide and the carcass.

Basicly, yes. If you actually look at what you're doing next time, you'll
see small strands of connective tissue between the skin and the meat. With a
chicken, they're small enough and weak enough that you pull them apart
without really realizing they're there. With a larger animal, sometimes it's
just easier to sever them with a sharp knife, although for most barnyard
animals they can be pulled apart with the application of enough force.
Personally, however, I wouldn't care to try that on an elephant ;-)

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,