[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Scene by Campi

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Jan 2 16:05:31 PST 2003

Brandu penned:
>2) the boy is inflating a pig's bladder to make a toy.
>Playing ball with inflated pigs bladders was common, and there are several
>pictures in Brughel's peasant scenes which show such balls in use.

Looks for all the world to me like he's blowing the skin away from the whole
chicken via the neck. The striations on the object look a lot like the
breast of a chicken---which makes sense in that a lady is cleaning chickens
to his left (our right) and the cat in the middle is defending those innards
from the dog.

Aoife