[Sca-cooks] OT - sewing machines

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 2 22:30:43 PST 2003

> If you buy a portable model, they usually have covers, if they're quality.
> I also have a Singer treadle sewing machine I inherited from my grandmother  I'm not sure how old it is, but I've kept up with its maintenance and it still sews a heck of a straight seam! Major drawback - do you know how heavy cast iron is?
> Liadan
It may also depend on what is meant by a "cover". My seventies vintage Singer,

bought when I joined the SCA in 1989, came with a wooden table into which
the machine folded down. However, for a few dollars more I was able to
purchase a plastic case (base and tall top). You unscrew/unlatch the
machine from the table and it can be placed in the plastic case for carrying
to other locations. I've never used the case for this, though. I usually
have just folded down the machine into the table and put the entire table/
sewing machine into the car and transported it that way.

Now, that I'm moving to a new house with hopefully more room, I'm wishing
I hadn't traded away my industrial machine. Looked like an old metal
Singer on steroids and pumped oil through itself from a sump below the
machine for cooling and lubrication. We changed out the pulley on it to
*slow* the machine down when we making the baronial pavilion with it.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com