[Sca-cooks] Corn Dogs

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Jan 3 07:47:27 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Nick Sasso wrote:
<<<SNIP>>> We also used Nathan's hot dogs
> > that we bought from the store.  I recommend a more traditional
> > dimensioned doggy.  Something the shape of Oscar Meyer . . .
plumper and
> > not so long as Nathan's, but don't use a cheap chicken dog for
this.
> > niccolo difrancesco

> From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
> Since you had to mention Nathan's, does it make a difference whether
the
> doggies are skinless or skin-on?

We haven't found any difference.  We have tried the Nathan's (skin on)
and cheap chicken (mould cooked) dogs.  Both performed similarly in
terms of batter adhering and heating through sufficiently while
browning.  Nathans was slightly superior as they released less 'juice'
to cause batter problems.

It's worth noting as well, that there are commercial Corn Dog bakers
available in the $500 to $800 range.  They have little formed slots and
are hinged like a waffle baker (half mold on top and half on bottom).
My bet is that store bought corn dogs are made by laying the stuck dog
in the moulds/cookers and injecting batter to get that perfect shape
every time.  I prefer the hand crafted quality of hand dipped and fried
. . . like you get at the State Fairs around GA in the fall.  I wish I
had their frier setup and access to the larger dogs they use. (they have
a corn dog batter mix that comes in 'just add water' form).

niccolo