City streets (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Kitchen Scene by Campi)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Jan 4 09:51:09 PST 2003

At 02:34 PM 1/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
>On 3 Jan 2003, at 9:31, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>> Dunno. But the streets of Washington DC were known for being similarly
>> er... decorated for most of the century. Apaprently one of Mary Todd
>> Lincoln's many complaints about the town.
>
>Had she gone to London, she would have found the same situation.
>Some people eked out a living as street sweepers, clearing a path
>across a street, so their betters could walk without soiling their
>shoes.

Yup. Heard that too.

I also understand that many of the larger medieval cities had similar
problems- London, Paris, etc. Not so much in the Italian City-states
though, and the Flemish prided themselves on tidy cities. I suspect it has
something to do with governing styles.

'Lainie, hearing the garbage truck down the street...