[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Scene by Campi

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 17:11:14 PST 2003

Almost everyone here in AZ wears cowboy boots, from working cowboys to Prom Queens.  Your wardrobe isn't complete unless you own a pair (which I don't.  Even the heel on a cowboy boot is too high for my poor stressed arches)
Mordonna
 "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:At 07:59 AM 1/2/03 -0500, you wrote:

>Reading the above, Stefan, I'll throw this in just in case: a boot
>scraper is a gizmo, usually cast iron, that you bolt to the floor of
>your porch, vestibule, foyer, etc. The ones I've seen are in the form
>of a rectangular framework, maybe six or seven inches square, with a
>series of toothed bars. You scrape the soles and heels of your boots
>on the toothy bars, to remove impacted mud or snow, which falls
>between the bars, rather than being tracked into the house.
>
>Adamantius

I suspect the first reference to a 'boot scraper' (Olwen?) actually meant a
'boot jack', which is a thingie with a curved edge that you put the back of
your boot heel on to hold the boot while you yank it off. At least that's
what it reminded me of. I will admit it could be a grater of some sort.

Do cowboys still wear cowboy boots? I know Governor Kitzhaber wears them
(with jeans and a nice jacket and tie- I love the guy- sorry his term's
up!) but I don't think I've seen them anywhere near a ranch in ages...
anyway, a boot jack is really important if you're wearing cowboy boots. No
other way to get them off, really. Maybe that's why they die 'with their
boots on'.

'Lainie
-git along, little dogies...

Lady Anne du Bosc