[Sca-cooks] RE: Apples and turnips msg 12 digest, Vol 1 #3042

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 3 15:35:15 PST 2003

Although you have much more experience
translating period German than I do, I think I
disagree with your conclusions to the meaning of
the word "zuvar."  Mainly, because you seem to
have overlooked the two preceding words, "ein
wenic"
I think that this combination could mean "a
little before" which in modern German would read
"ein wenig zuvor".  I am guessing that this could
mean "a little before ripeness".  So that when
you press parsley a little before ripeness you
get a sour juice and this is also called "agraz".

Just my opinion.

Huette

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/beetro28.html

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Beta_vulgaris.html

http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/recipes.html#recipe35
> >Stefan asked--
> appple/parsley/turnip paste? Do you
> Or stew it?
> >Avraham said--
> looking at other recipes
> type concoction.
> > to which "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"
> wrote:
> >> Maybe a relish of sorts. FWIW, the Melitta
> Weiss Adamson translation
> >> says you use crabapples (which would account
> for the name, rough
> >> cognate of the Italian "agresto", or
> verjuice) and beets.
> >-------------
> >I actually noticed that when I checked the
> Adamson translation later
> >after posting.
> >She translates this one as:
> >"Take crab apples, parsley, beet-root, mash
> everything..." instead of
> >"wood apples, parsley and turnips" as Alia
> Atlas does.
> > What I found interesting is that Adamson does
> not index any of these
> >recipes as containing "turnips". This number
> 35 is also the only one
> >that
> >contains "beet root" listed in the index.
> Perhaps Gwencat has translated
> >something
> >with apples and turnips from the 16th century?
> >
> >Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

=====
shall never cease to be amused.