[Sca-cooks] A Feast Experiment

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Jan 5 20:56:19 PST 2003

At 08:33 PM 1/4/03 -0500, you wrote:

>I was looking at "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" last evening to
>see if there was anything that might help. There are both feasts
>(which the poet specifically declines to describe in detail,
>unfortunately) and hunting scenes, and some rather ritualistic
>presentations of slaughtered, butchered, game. As I recall there are
>three such scenes, one involving venison (as in deer, rib meat,
>IIRC), the second, a boar, and I forget the third.
>
>Adamantius

My alley- the hunt bags a deer, a boar, and a fox. The fox isn't for meat
though- only for sport. And in a similar vein, Gawain is game- also for
sport. The poem is so full of multi-valent words... it's not just
multi-valent, it's the whole curtain! (Sorry, bad English major joke...)

'Lainie
-all right, I'll go to the Rock and do penance by being a taster for
Drakey...