[Sca-cooks] OT-knots and medieval boats

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Mon Jan 6 07:00:47 PST 2003

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> [2002.12.31] wrote:

> Yes, I understood that. My comment was simply a reminder to please also use
> the common name and/or describe the knot.

The best way to define a knot is to give the Ashely number, i.e. the
number it has in the Ashley Book of Knots (written -- IIRC -- in the
30's, but still the standard work). A bit like scientific name or plants
and animals; not really accessible to laymen, but a firm definition of
what you are talking about.

UlfR

UlfR                                             par at hunter-gatherer.org
When you taste dead animals and live people very few people give a
damn; do it the other way and all hell breaks loose.
                -- Rik Steenwinkel