[Sca-cooks] OT-knots and medieval boats

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Jan 6 07:39:10 PST 2003

At 04:00 PM 1/6/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> [2002.12.31] wrote:
>
> > Yes, I understood that. My comment was simply a reminder to please also use
> > the common name and/or describe the knot.
>
>The best way to define a knot is to give the Ashely number, i.e. the
>number it has in the Ashley Book of Knots (written -- IIRC -- in the
>30's, but still the standard work). A bit like scientific name or plants
>and animals; not really accessible to laymen, but a firm definition of
>what you are talking about.

Owning the Ashley Book of Knots, I will say that it is most obscure and, to
me, badly explained.  I have yet to successfully tie any of the "mediumly"
complicated knots from it, even something as simple as a five lead, four
bight turk's head.

Totally not cooking related, but I really could use someone to show me how
to tie a few decorative turk's head properly...  Are you anywhere near
Savannah, GA?  If so, I will exchange tutorials for cookies or food, how's
that? <grin>

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry