[Sca-cooks] Re: Lettuce (Welserin)

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 6 09:06:49 PST 2003

Greetings,

As long as we are still fixated on lettuce here is one I have found from Sabina Welserin:

90 If you would like to make chicken on head lettuce
Then take a pot and lay a handful of lettuce in it and a chicken on top, again a handful of lettuce and a chicken and so
forth. Take after that good broth, which should be rich, and put a good piece of butter into it and salt it and boil it,
until you think that it has cooked enough. Put a little mace into it. One must, however, use head lettuce and it should
be washed clean beforehand, then it is ready.

I think it is interesting that she specifies Head Lettuce and not Loose Leaf. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva