[Sca-cooks] Re: Lettuce (Welserin)

Mon Jan 6 13:18:45 PST 2003

Devil's advocate time.  Is the translation correct?  If so, what is meant by
"head lettuce?"

The title line of the recipe is, "Jtem wiltú hener jn ain kepffleten sallat
machen."  "Kepffletten" is being translated as "head lettuce."  "Kepff" (or
"kepf" as it later appears) for "kopf."  A reasonable translation if there
is no other possible meaning for "kepff."

So does "head lettuce" mean what we think it means?

If you check Leonard Fuchs's Herbal under Latuca (the Latin and genus name
for lettuce):

http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/fuchs/170-1.gif

The illustration on pg 171 is labeled Latuca capitata.  And not a bowling
ball shaped head of lettuce in sight (although, if you look below the
branchs, there is a close cluster of leaves which probably represents a
"loose" rosette).  The German subtitle is "great or white lettuce."  This
suggests, in the absence of better information, that "kepfletten" is a
lettuce with a well defined but loosely wrapped rosette, possibly similar to
a modern butterhead.

Bear