[Sca-cooks] Tart crusts

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 8 12:35:20 PST 2003

>I have what could be a simple question about
>tarts but it is really annoying. When I make
>a tart it seems the bottom never gets properly
>done. One of the dishes I wish to make for the
>Atenveldt Royal encampment is a Dijon tart but
>I worry about the bottom being underdone and
>soggy. Should I precook the shell even though
>I'll be baking it for around 30 min at 400 F.?
>
>What should I do to prevent this? I made some
>pork tarts for a vigil a bit ago and was very
>disappointed by the crust.
>Gunthar

Yes.  Prebake the shell at least part way, like to ten minutes instead of
twenty.  Cover the edge and about halfway down the inside of the crust to
keep it from browning/overbaking.  And of course you know about putting the
beans or whathaveyou in the bottom of the shell. You really have to pre-bake
any shell you will be putting a fairly moist filling into.  It also makes a
difference what type of pan you are using.  If you are using pyrex, that
would account for the problem to begin with.  I generally use the old metal
ones with the wee holes in the bottom.  You might think about using a
different crust recipe as well.  Frankly this sounds kinda like a deepdish
that I make and I just use a rolled Bisquick crust with a few drops of
vinegar added for the bottom and the drop biscuit recipe on top so there is
a nice thick bread to eat the filling with.
Olwen