[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP: Where to live?

Nambeanntan at aol.com Nambeanntan at aol.com
Wed Jan 8 17:02:33 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/8/2003 5:03:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> So, i've been wondering... where would people recommend? Any suggestions?

I'd recommend Sarasota, FL.  We have a symphony, an opera company, several
theaters and museums, the second largest early music consort in the country
and about a dozen choruses including a gay one. The city is host to many
music festivals from blues to classical, film festivals.  Lots of great
restaurants, a farmer's market (once a week), lots of u-picks and an organic
farm.

Politically, last election the city and voters added sexual orientation to an
anti discrimination amendment unfortunately we got Katherine "let the chads
hang" Harris as our Senator, at least she's a big supporter of the arts.

Climate, down here summer high/low temps are in the 90's/70's, winter in the
70's/50's.  If your house is landscaped properly with trees that will help
keep things cool and even when we have a cold snap its not that bad.  Last
night was the coldest night so far, the only damage was to one coleus, but it
needed to be trimmed back anyway, no damage to the orchids or bromeliads. And
as far as the winter blues go, on the Solstice sunrise was 7:15 and sunset
was 5:30.

Housing costs are cheap, which is good because overall payscale is low.  I
bought a nice 2 bedroom house on a Walmart salary, you do the math, for
100,000 you can get a great home.

Annan
PS -- The local Shire is great, nice and mellow holds three local events a
year, tries to host a kingdom event every so often and is known for its
wonderful feasts.