[Sca-cooks] a question for the geeks- OT-OOP

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 9 08:30:24 PST 2003

Yes, Netscape does email - I'm using that right now. And that's where I
think a couple of annoying things were fixed - not major problems, just
- annoyances.

I have only encountered Opera a few years ago, when someone was strongly
suggesting my father use it, as it was supposed to be much better with
low vision. I was never really sure if it helped, because low vision was
only half his problem with computers - the other was that he still
expected them to act the way they did when he first used one, in 1947...
  it was never completely clear what he did, but every time he went near
one, it had a nervous breakdown. So his use wasn't really a valid test
of software... but the man suggesting it, who was an end user geek who
was doing (other than Dad) a great job of convincing people in their 80s
of the marvels of computers, thought very highly of it. It was an
interesting group - he had people who'd never gone near one, people who
had used them long ago, people who'd helped develop them and could trace
programming languages back through time to the ones they'd first learned
when they programmed when rocks were soft, people who were recent
converts and - oh, what do you call them - the ones who always have the
newest and latest technology... all in their 70s and older. Oh, and my
mom, who was avoiding them because she didn't want to spend her days
doing Dad's word processing... *G*

Anne