[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP: Where to live?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 14:01:03 PST 2003

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
wrote:
> Huette commented:
> > Yes Sydney is great.  But Los Angeles is
> better.
> > If you want snow, it is only a 1.5 hour drive
> > the ski fields.
> Oh wow! You mean there is a skiing area only 25
> miles from LA? :-)
>
> Stefan

What????  You drive only 16 mph?  How old are
you?
103?

But the answer is a limited "yes", depending on
where you are in LA.  Mount Baldy and Wrightwood
are just a few miles over the LA/San Bernardino
county lines, so there are two ski resorts just
over the border from LA and four [or five] more
that I know of not too much further away.  Two at
Lake Arrowhead and two [or is it three?] at Big
Bear Lake.  I can't remember if there is one at
either Running Springs or Mount Waterman.  With
the rains we have been having, there is real snow
on the ground there and not man-made.  I think
they currently have a 2 to 3 foot base.

And if you wish to drive 4 hours, then you can
drive to the Sierra Nevadas and go to Mammoth
Lake, where you will find at least a dozen
resorts and at least 10 feet of snow.  Drive
another 4 or more hours and you get to Lake Tahoe
and even more resorts and more snow.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.