[Sca-cooks] Fw: [Aten_Cooks] the idea of a Kingdom Cooks Guild

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 10 20:34:10 PST 2003

>> Yes, I'd very much like to hear what people have to say on this subject,
>> too. We're in the throes of setting up a Metalsmiths Guild here in EK, and
>> any advice you guys can give will be much appreciated.
>
> Piece of advice: do not put an annual tithe into the charter...
>
> -- Jadwiga, still contemplating putting the lacings on her dress, making 2
> gallons of sauce, and making the rest of the stuff for the tithe.
So, how does this tithe work? Do you pay more for certain ranks? I assume this

tithe consists of various donated items. How is the amount of tithe specified

in the charter? What happens to all these items?

Several years ago, my barony started doing something that sounds similar.
Each year they collect the annual "taxes" between Yule Revel and Candlemas.
This is used to reward the Baronial Guard and I believe some is used as
largess through the year by the Baron and Baroness. The amount of "taxes/
rent" you are supposed to pay is based on the amount of land you have. This
land is awarded depending upon your SCA rank and lately there has been some
bonus land given out to winners of tournaments and such. This land is
chosen from a "period" style map of the mundane area of the barony.

My lady wife and I have land around a sinkhole/spring, modernly called
"Hamilaton Pool" now a State Park about half an hour from our southwest
Austin home. Others are clustered around the city walls or at various
intersections of the several King's Highways, etc.

Several years ago I carved a soapstone mold with a carving of the Baronial
Guard badge in it that can be worn as a necklace. Each year since then I've
been casting half-a-dozen to a dozen pewter badges and giving those, sometimes
with a few other items. At Yule this year I gave them an I.O.U. for some
more. Guess I really need to drag out my stuff and do some casting.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com