[Sca-cooks] Question about copyright

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jan 11 16:35:25 PST 2003

>Hi, gang!
>I'm hoping one or two of you will know the answer to this one, or can
>point me in the right directions....
>A lady in my kingdom is putting together a cookbook of recipes that some
>of the kingdom's cooks have used, together with commentary we provide on
>our recipes.  She's making about 500 copies, and, IIRC, it'll be used as
>a kingdom fundraiser.
>I don't *have* any recipes that are uniquely, fundamentally, my own.  I
>did, however, do a whole bunch of redacting for an event last
>fall--recipes from the Perry translation of the Anon. Andalusian
>Cookbook that His Grace has on his website.
>Would it be okay to send my redactions in, with appropriate notation
>about my sources and the translator, etc.? Do I need written permission?
>Any advice would be lovely, thanks!
>--maire

If you are sending only your redaction and not a copy of the
original, there is problem with copyright, since copyright protects
only expression, not idea. If you want to include a copy of the
translation, it would be desirable to have permission from Charles
Perry, although in practice nothing is likely to happen to you if you
don't.

If you do want to use his translation, let me know by email and I'll
pass the request on to him.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/