[Sca-cooks] OOP

Amanda Blackwolf amandablackwolf at cox.net
Tue Jan 14 19:10:33 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP

> Oven temp almost doesn't matter, beyond a certain point, anywhere
> from 300-400 degrees F will do it, but you probably get a less
> shrunken, and also less crispy, roast at 300. I'd do it at 350-375,
> but 300 works just fine, and if you want a less caramelized gravy,
> it's better. Anything less than 300 and it could conceivably be just
> a bit unsafe.
I went at 325.

> 160 degrees internal is fine, too, but anything above 140 (as long as
> you're sure your thermometer is reasonably accurate) is good from the
> standpoint of safety. Older cookbooks recommend 190 and up, which is
> a bad thing, IMO, unless your goal is to simply make sure it's really
> and truly dead.
I took it out of the oven at 155, and let it rest while I finished all the
sides. Dinner is a success. Everyone is busy stuffing their faces. And  my
husband said "you have really outdone yourself this time, baby." High praise
from the guy who never praises!

> Figure on around 20 minutes per pound, so roughly expect it to cook
> for a couple of hours, and you'll want to check the temperature after
> about 1.5 hours. Remember there'll be some carry-over heat, so if you
> leave it in till it's at 160, it may actually still overcook just a
> bit, depending on various other factors (which is why I would suggest
> taking it out just a bit sooner than that).
I figured 20 to 25 minutes per pound. It was right on the money. Took 1 hour
and 55 minutes-ish to cook. <That oven thermometer is off a bit I think>

Thanks for the help. The adults are on 2nd helpings, and the kids cleaned
plates!

Amanda

---