[Sca-cooks] Chuntney

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Jan 14 20:18:08 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 12:19 AM, Diamond Randall wrote:

> Anyone got a good recipe for making chuntney?  I am making
> Melton Mowbray Pies for a shire gathering this weekend and
> would like to have it as a condiment.  I am partial to it with pork
> pie.   Oh yeah, is it period?  I always thought it was Victorian.

For a period alternative you might try this recipe.  [
http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/perys.html ]

Perys en Composte

This fruit compote can be served on its own or as a very nice sauce for
meat.  A little powdered ginger can be addded with the cinnamon, and
for some extra zing add candied ginger before serving.

1 cup wine
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 pear
1 quince
12 dates, pitted and chopped
1/8 tsp. red sandalwood (saunders)
dash salt

Put wine, water, sugar, and cinnamon into a pan and warm.  Peel and
core fruit, slice into small, thin pieces, and add to wine. Add dates,
sandalwood, and salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until
fruit is tender.  Serve cold.

Source [Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books, T. Austin (ed.)]: Perys en
Composte. Take Wyne an Canel, & a gret dele of Whyte Sugre, an set it
on the fyre & hete it hote, but let it nowt boyle, an draw it thorwe a
straynoure; than take fayre Datys, an pyke owt the stonys, an leche hem
alle thinne, an caste ther-to; thanne take Wardonys, an pare hem and
sethe hem, an leche hem alle thinne, & caste ther-to in-to the Syryppe:
thanne take a lytil Sawnderys, and caste ther-to, an sette it on the
fyre; an if thow hast charde quynce, caste ther-to in the boyling, an
loke that it stonde wyl with Sugre, an wyl lyid wyth Canel, an caste
Salt ther-to, an let it boyle; an than caste yt on a treen vessel, &
lat it kele, & serue forth.

Source [Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books, T. Austin (ed.)]: Peris in
compost. Take Wyne, canell, And a grete dele of white Sugur, And sette
hit ouer the fire, And hete hit but a litull, and not boyle; And drawe
hit thorg a streynour; And then take faire dates, and y-take oute the
stones, and leche hem in faire gobettes al thyn, and cast there-to; And
then take pere Wardones, and pare hem, And seth hem, And leche hem in
faire gobettes, and pike oute the core, and cast hem to the Syryppe;
And take a litull Saundres, and caste there-to in the boylyng, And loke
that hit stonde well, with Gynger, Sugur, And well aley hit with
canell, and cast salt thereto, and lete boyle; And then caste it oute
in a treyn vesse ll, And lete kele; And then pare clene rasinges of
ginger, & temper hem ij. or iij. daies, in wyne, And after, ley hem in
clarefied hony colde, all a day or a nigt; And then take the rasons
oute of the hony, And caste hem to the peres in composte; And then
serue hit forth with sirippe, all colde, And nougt hote.

- Doc