[Sca-cooks] Re: Safety (now catering gloves)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Jan 15 08:03:29 PST 2003

I've been keeping away from this discussion, but I have to poke my head in.

I cannot work with food while wearing gloves.  Period.  Especially when
handling meet for boning, slicing, etc.  I always end up with bits of
gloves in the meat, which is not good, and then the glove's integrity is
shut, which defeats the purpose of the glove anyway.  I've tried very tight
fitting latex gloves, on top of a mild reaction to it, they impaired my
ability to move my hands.  I have worn looser fitting latex and vynil
gloves, which most definitely got in the way.  I have worn the disposable
cheapies, that really are *horrid* to use, as they won't stay on your hand
to start with.

I believe in wash your hands well, and often.  It's not the best solution,
but it has worked well, when done properly.

I have a BIG problem with gloves also in that it seems that people are
thinking "I'm wearing gloves, so it's ok to do whatever", and forget to
change gloves, or do things like scratching a nose with the glove
anyway.  Pointless.

Now, I am blessed with an extra challenge, in that I walk with my hands, in
effect, as I have to push the rims of my wheelchairs to move around.  This
makes handwashing often even more necessary, and the use of gloves would be
an obvious way to remedy that, but it isn't so effective.  I've developped
a technique for short distances of using my elbows to move the chair, but
any distance involves washing hands.

<shrug>

>2. do you check to make sure that the kitchen has a GOOD first aid kit handy
>at all times?

Most profesionnal kitchens I've been in have a first aid kit, which upon
opening is *empty*.  I have built a small first aid kit that I bring with
me when I go cooking, etc.

>3. do you bring extra pot holders?  a shortage of pot holders and so on
>makes for a higher burn hazard.. Alton Brown recomends that you go to the
>hardware store and buy welders gloves, but even a little quilted square of
>heat resistant stuff helps.

This is one of the rare times I disagree with Alton.  Pot holders and oven
mitts are products of the Devil for me.  Pot holders are always too
small.  Mitts too clumsy to use.  I do, however, have many kitchen towels
that I keep dry and can use for lifting hot stuff.  The heavier and bigger
and hotter the item, the more folds in the towel I make.  Just make sure
it's not wet or damp, but that also applies to pot holders and the likes.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry