[Sca-cooks] Re: Safety (now catering gloves)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 15 10:18:43 PST 2003

At 11:21 AM 1/15/03 -0500, you wrote:

>Being somewhat sensitive to certain bacteria, I most definitely have
>gotten sick from an SCA feast (as well as restaurant food).  Most of
>the time it seems to have been from foods that were not kept at safe
>temperatures before serving.  I've become quite good at predicting what
>will cause me trouble in specific restaurants and avoiding it - i.e.
>"alfredo" sauce on Sundays (some places apparently make a really big
>batch on Saturday and use it all weekend), cole slaws, and anything
>from a salad bar.

My ex-husband got sick twice from food at SCA events- both times at potluck
where the food was set on a table and forgotten- the most memorable
incidence was shepherd's pie. I didn't have any.

I seldom eat at potlucks anymore- kitchen crew at feasts usually at least
make an attempt at food safety, but quite a few people just aren't thinking
at home, and just as often don't bring dishes that are suitable for
make-ahead, transport, and storage.

'Lainie