[Sca-cooks] Re: Safety (now catering gloves)

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Wed Jan 15 11:04:22 PST 2003

oh concurred.....
i just think that it is a case of .. building skills.. in food safety.

i am working, you understand, from my own knowledge.. what i have seen
myself.. and that was usually good.. and sometimes scary.

too many people are unaware of casual contamination risks.. like touching
doors... (especially bathroom doors) that are easy to manage.

and yes, many of us have some owies on our hands and it can be tough to keep
them clean and covered.

i suppose the lesson i had at EMS serves me well.......... we watched a team
dip their gloves in a UV reactive ink and then do a mock drill on a
patient....  simulating a bleeding patient...
afterwards the gloved team "cleaned up" the ambulance with their usual
care.. and then we flooded the ambulance with UV light.  little specks of
ink.. everywhere.  forgotten fingerprints on the underside of cabinets..
really drove home the risks for blood borne disease.....

i heard there is a drill where they do the same thing in a bathroom....
paint someone with UV reactive ink and have them use the bathroom.... and
then have other people go in and scan them for contamination later.....
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."