[Sca-cooks] Safety (now catering gloves)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 15 12:49:20 PST 2003

Kirsten Houseknecht wrote:
>2. do you check to make sure that the kitchen has a GOOD first aid kit handy
>at all times? and good means that it has multiple pairs of non latex gloves
>and a CPR shield.  plus a lot of bandages and burn treatments and such for
>the universal bane of kitchens  the burn and cut hazard.

I believe the kitchen i have cooked in most often has a First Aid
kit, although setting up my own and bringing it is a good idea. So
far, we've been lucky in my kitchens, but burns are very likely.

What should go in it, especially that is oriented to kitchen injuries?

I realize you enumerate some things above, but i'd like to know more
specifically. For example, what are the best burn treatment products?
When i burned my finger with hot glue Friday evening before Twelfth
Night, my waitress in the hotel restaurant kindly brought me what
they had (i didn't ask, she offered), but it wasn't all that useful
(some skin numbing gel and some antibiotic creme).

>3. do you bring extra pot holders?  a shortage of pot holders and so on
>makes for a higher burn hazard.. Alton Brown recomends that you go to the
>hardware store and buy welders gloves, but even a little quilted square of
>heat resistant stuff helps.

I mostly just use folded kitchen towels at home. I always ask my
feast helpers to bring their own knives and some pot holders. A few
have even brought bags of old clean towels, too, for multi-purpose
use.

Anahita
and, no, i don't have garb with reflective tape for crossing parking
lots... Sounds like it might be good for tent guy ropes. There's a
West Kingdom law mandating safety flags on guy ropes, but they aren't
always very visible at night and in dusk or pre-dawn light.