First aid stuff... was Re: [Sca-cooks] Safety (now catering gloves)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 15 14:06:52 PST 2003

>>What should go in it, especially that is oriented to kitchen injuries?
>>
>>I realize you enumerate some things above, but i'd like to know more
>>specifically. For example, what are the best burn treatment products?
>
>Well, coming at it from an empirical more than scientific approach, here's
>what I have in mine:
>
>Aloe gel (great for burns, ideally have a plant of it, though not always
>possible in a kitchen you don't live in)
>White vinegar (not in 1st aid kit, usualy a staple in the kitchen), also
>great on mild burns.  Stinks, but soaks the heat right out (mind you, not
>talking about the dip your hand in the deepfryer kinda burn here)
>CPR/mouth to mouth mask
>Tons of band-aids.  I have found the cloth ones to be the only type that
>will actually STICK to hands.  This in turn calls for the following item:
>Finger condoms (don't know the proper name, but that's what they are, NON
>lubricated...  roll them on top of a bandaged finger)
>Feminine tampons (best cheap bang for the buck to absorb blood on a nasty
>cut)
>Bring frozen veggies or the like, makes wonderful icepack.
>
>Those pretty much cover the majority of the run of the mill injuries I've
>seen in kitchen, and some of the bigger ones.  Remember, this is, after
>all, first aid, we're NOT medics and while we should be aware of things to
>do in case of emergency, we should be aware of how to get help to use
>promptly...
>

>Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd

The Bright Hills guild has a good first aid kit that travels with it.  All
the assorted regular stuff is in it, but folks have recently decided to add
glucose tabs since we have a couple of diabetics in the Barony.  Don't know
if we have those little finger condoms in it though.  That's a good
question.
Olwen