[Sca-cooks] Chuntney

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 15 17:15:00 PST 2003

Akim asked:
> Anyone got a good recipe for making chuntney?  I am making
> Melton Mowbray Pies for a shire gathering this weekend and
> would like to have it as a condiment.  I am partial to it with pork
> pie.   Oh yeah, is it period?  I always thought it was Victorian.

I don't think chutney is period, at least for Europe. I think the
closest period item is likely to be compost. I don't think the recipes
specify the size of the fruit and vegetable chunks, so you could
probably cut them fairly small.
Perhaps this file might help:

compost-msg       (35K)  3/27/01    A pickled food of fruits and vegetables.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/compost-msg.html

So, what is this "Melton Mowbray" pie? Is it period? Recipe?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net