[Sca-cooks] Chuntney

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 15 09:09:09 PST 2003

> Anyone got a good recipe for making chuntney?  I am making
> Melton Mowbray Pies for a shire gathering this weekend and
> would like to have it as a condiment.  I am partial to it with pork
> pie.   Oh yeah, is it period?  I always thought it was Victorian.
>
> Akim

It's from India really, the Hindi word is "chatni".  The British picked
it up in the colonial days, along with curries and such.
<http://www.foodreference.com/html/artchutney.html>

On the other paw, pork pies certainly existed in the Middle Ages and so
did dishes of stewed fruit with sweet/tart/spicy character.  Gaylede,
Compotes of various types, etc.

Selene Colfox