[Sca-cooks] Melton Mowbray was Chuntney

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jan 16 05:40:19 PST 2003

I've always liked Johne Thorne. He's far more readable
than some of the gastronomy writers. He's funny too.
And if he simplifiesthe Middle Ages and Renaissance into one
big generic period of time or age, it's probably
not anything worse than what the textbooks are currently
doing at the Junior High level. I think I have discovered
why the average college freshman can't date when anything occurred
in the past. WWI and the Civil War happened at about the same time.
They probably had a textbook like my son has. Magellan is discussed
in detail on one two page spread. Turn the page and the next person
or subject discussed is Captain Cook. One suddenly loses 250 years
of maritime history. I have already written one letter regarding what
the publisher thought was a typical medieval house.
This isn't history; this is highlights.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis