[Sca-cooks] cooks first aid kit- the Chirurgeon speaks...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Jan 16 10:04:41 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> just a note.. if someone asks you what is in things before you treat
them...
> TELL them.
> most SCA chirurgeons are very good about this, but i have had some..
> issues.. with mundane medical people trying to put Solarcain or "aloe
vera"
> (BLUE aloe vera, which has benzocaine in it) on my burns.

Lets try: WE MAY NOT OFFER MEDICATIONS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

OTOH, we can happen to have a selection, and offer them the use of any
medications that they feel might help, after reading the label. But, in that
case, we aren't prescribing or dispensing. The fact that what they might
find most useful is out in front of a random selection of over-the-counter
meds is immaterial ;-) I'm not going to tell them a thing- I'll let them
read as much of the label as they choose to, and make sure all my stuff is
properly labeled. In the case of vision impaired, I might go so far as to
read the label aloud to them.

> <grin>
> i have the epi...
> I had to give my epi pen to a paramedic at one convention because they
were
> trying to get someones heart started....and no ambulance or medical
> anywhere.. just one poor off duty paramedic.

That's one stupid paramedic, unless he's allowed to dispense epi under his
protocols.

> i understand the patient lived to get to the hospital, i have no idea if
> they recovered.

Probably did, or his heirs might very well have sued you and the paramedic.
Using meds prescribed for someone on a person for whom it's not prescribed
is a major no-no.

> i am personally campaigning to have every major Barony have an AED.

Oh? And are you campaigning also to have every appropriate member of that
barony trained on the AED? Because, granted they're pretty well idiot-proof,
but current laws require specific training- I just challenged my certs a few
months ago, right after Pennsic, and passed (I'm certed in BFA, AED, and
adult, child and infant CPR). And, they're expensive- the prices are coming
down, but they're still in the several thousand dollar range. And, they
require constant maintenance and attention- maybe not major, but they can't
be tossed out into the garage along with the spare event supplies, either.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,