[Sca-cooks] Yet More Food Safety

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 16:45:29 PST 2003

 Merc Hg <merc_hg_80 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
A couple more questions:

1) How dangerous, *really*, are uncooked eggs? I've
got all sorts of recipes from only a few decades ago
that call for them.

Varies, but the problem is that there is no real way of testing, except to get sick, and when they are dangerous, they are REALLY dangerous.

2) How dangerous, *really*, is unpasteurized cow
milk? Does it just start to go off sooner?

Pasteurization was named for Louis Pasteur.  He developed the process to make milk relatively safe for commercial marketing.  It kills some of the nastier beasties that live in Nature's Most Perfect food.  I would not drink unpasteurized milk unless I raised the cow and milked her myself, even though it is sooo much better than the cooked product.

Thanks,
Yours in Safety,
Rogez du Pont

Lady Anne du Bosc