[Sca-cooks] Yet More Food Safety

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 16:59:05 PST 2003

My Jewish Aunt from Philadelphia says the proper egg cream is Chocolate syrup, Cream, and Cream Soda.  She's now 78, and makes it with sugar free chocolate syrup, nonfat dairy creamer, and diet cream soda.  Either way, I find them entirely too cloyingly sweet.
 Avraham haRofeh of Northpass <goldberg at bestweb.net> wrote:> i have also had numerous egg creams... also raw... never had a problem.

I dunno what recipe you use, but the Official Noo Yawk Jewish Egg Cream has no
eggs and no cream in it. Chocolate syrup, whole milk, and seltzer (NOT "club
soda" thankyouverymuch!). That's it.

It's theorized that the name is a corruption of "echt" cream, "echt" being the
Yiddish word for "right" or "correct" - in other words, it's the "right way" to
drink cream. :-)

Avraham

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook