[Sca-cooks] Was HATS OFF... Now is How we did it....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 17 22:22:42 PST 2003

Olwen commented:
> I learned how much I take for granted my friends here who
> seamlessly help me with my disabilities.  There was one time I was trying to
> communicate with a merchant who spoke in a pitch and tone I simply couldn't
> hear and she had a mouth that I could not read.  I glanced around, then
> looked and searched the crowd for a friend who would help interpert for me,
> then finally gave up, turned back to the merchant and said "Well, we're on
> our own here" and we managed to work out a path of communication.

I'm glad you were able to work things out and that you were able to get across
to her what your problem was, or that she realized it. Olwen, you generally
handle your hearing difficulties rather well and it is easy to forget you have
them. I've known you for while now, and I often forget. I'm glad you didn't
just give up in frustration. That would have been disappointing for both of
you.

> Another
> time, i was walking down the hall with Nichola and had a sudden asthma
> attack.  Poor Nichola stood in supportive helplessness while I gasped and
> onlookers asked questions and some tried to make a fuss.  I have trained the
> folks around here to just set on casual "watchfriend" and everyone else go
> about their business so people aren't adding the extra stress to me of
> crowding round or gawking.

I'm not sure I would remember this, even though I believe you've mentioned
this here before. That "supportive helplessness" is not easy. As to the other,
I guess it is a two-edged sword. Rather than the attention, you could be in
a place/crowd where folks just walk by without noticing or caring.

> Hmm...moving is going to be fun...NOT!
I think you are handling it better than I would. That uncertainity would cause

me a whole lot of anziety. Get online ASAP after moving? Then you would

have your old, local friends and your Internet ones available.

A nine hour drive for a weekend event? Wow. We drive about 12 hours to

Gulf War, but that is for a week long event. Who is going to Gulf Wars
this year?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com