[Sca-cooks] Re: Toledo was Viking Skillet

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Jan 19 19:55:51 PST 2003

At 07:54 PM 1/19/03 -0700, you wrote:
>*snort*
>When I first read your comment, all I could think of was:
>A Visigoth from _Ohio_???!??!!
>And then, duh!, the first Toledo popped into my head! ;-)
>--maire

Oh, I had worse pop into my head- an old rude song sung by John Denver
(20-25 years ago) about "Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio..."

			 Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio,
			 is like being nowhere at all
                     All through the day how the hours rush by
                     You sit in the park and you watch the grass die

                     Ah, but after the sunset, the dusk and the twilight
                     When shadows of night start to fall
                     They roll back the sidewalks precisely at ten
                     And people who live there are not seen again

                     Just two lonely truckers from Great Falls, Montana
                     And a salesman from places unknown - ces unknown
                     Oh add all together in downtown Toledo
                     To spend their big night all alone

                     You ask how I know of Toledo, Ohio
                     Well I spent a week there one day
                     They've got entertainment to dazzle your eyes
                     Go visit the bakery and watch the buns rise

                     Ah, but let's not forget that the folks of Toledo
                     Unselfishly gave us the scales
                     No springs, honest weight, that's the promise they made
                     So smile and be thankful next time you get weighed

                     And wive and wet wive
                     Let this be our motto
                     Let's let the sleeping dogs lie - ping dogs lie

                     And here's to the dogs of Toledo, Ohio
                     Ladies, we bid you goodbye

                     (Words and music by Randy Sparkes)

My apologies to any Ohians, of course, but not my fault- not my song- blame
John Denver for inserting it into my brain- undoubtedly in a place that
would be better utilized storing things like Latin declensions or wiring
diagrams, but noooo, it's full of stuff like this...

'Lainie