[Sca-cooks] Chuntney

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jan 19 20:22:42 PST 2003

Okay, okay <g>.  I've had this recipe for close to 20 years, I think,
and have no remembrance of it's original author, sorry.
It's best made in the middle of summer, with fresh ingredients.
--maire

MAIRE'S PRIMO CHUTNEY
2 medium oranges
6 large nectarines, cut into small wedges
3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
3 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced*
2 medium onions, diced
1 16-oz. package of light-brown sugar (2 and 1/3 cups)
2 and 1/4 c. vinegar (recommend white wine or cider)
3 T minced fresh ginger, or 1 T ground ginger
2 t mustard powder
1 t salt
1/4 t ground, red pepper
1 c raisins

Grate peel from oranges, and juice them (need about 2/3 c of juice).  In
a 5 qt. saucepan, over high heat, heat to boiling all the ingredients
(EXCEPT the raisins), stirring often.  Reduce heat to a med. low, and
simmer, uncovered, for about an hour.  Add raisins, and continue to cook
until very thick (about 45 mins. longer), stirring occasionally.  Ladle
simmering chutney into hot 1/2-pint canning jars, leaving 1/2 to 1 inch
space.  Clean chutney bits of top and sides where lid will go, and put
lids on securely.  Process for 10 mins. in a boiling water bath.  Cool
for at least 12 hours.
Good with roast pork, ham, turkey, and curry dishes
Makes a fairly potent, but good, smell when cooking <g>
*Note that I peel my tomatoes because I don't like the bits of skin.
It's easily done by cutting a small X in the non-stem end, and plunging
them briefly into boiling water and then into cold water.  Skin should
slip right off.