[Sca-cooks] Re: Debatable Crown

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 10:06:41 PST 2003

Heh, I finally have enough time at work to
philosophise. Sorry for the delay.

>How do you l look at the concept that for some reason just
>about the day after crown lyst and the sitting King appears
>to suddenly go nuts:)

Well, I think it depends on the person and also who the heirs
are. Since a sitting Crown has very little impact on who the
heirs will be it can sometimes be a bit daunting, especially
when the heirs are pretty much against everything the sitting
Crown has enacted. I've seen this very often, especially by
certain Dukes who have said that they will win a Crown simply
to off-set things the current Crown has done.

Another thing is that some who love the power and prestige of
being Crown suddenly realize that the party is about to end.
Having the heirs makes them realize that they are about to become
just common folk again and won't be able to have their way all
the time.

There is also the subtle powergames between Crown and heirs
that occur, even if they are friendly. The Crown knows it's
the lame duck and the heirs are attempting to establish a
powerbase as well as figure out just what the heck they are
doing. The Crown loses some power when heirs are chosen because
the populace may want the heirs to do certain awards or such
during their reign.

>I am not sure if the crown suddenly shrinks putting vicious
>pressure on his brain or whether its just the accumulation
>of the last three months of having two hunderd "friends"
>who wouldn't talk to you just before you won crown, and are
>now your closest buddies, pals and consorts:)

It's interesting in that the "friends" thing works both ways.
I often rarely see or talk to people who are my friends once
they win Crown. They are so busy seeing everyone else that I
just kind of step into the shadows. Yes, some people are
suddenly your friends but a Crown should learn who is talking
to the Crown and who is talking to them as people. I think that's
one reason some Crowns hate to step down. They often go from
obscurity to being the most popular people on site. And some
have a hard time sharing that limelight.

It isn't that most of the people who are the Crown's "friends"
are just suck-ups or out for their own good either. They feel
they are doing a true service to the Crown, and often the
biggest brown-nosers are the biggest assets to a Crown. Just
as long as the Crown recognizes functionaries for what they
are. But most people feel special when acknowledged by the Crown,
even if it's just the opportunity to make sure their cup is
filled at Court.

>YIS, Elric

I'm not sure if this offered any insights, but I think it may
show different perspectives.

yers,

Gunthar