[Sca-cooks] Re: Debatable Crown

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jan 6 08:17:54 PST 2003

At 11:20 PM 1/3/03 -0500, you wrote:

> But I degress from my question: How do you l look at
>the concept that for some reason just about the day after crown lyst and the
>sitting King appears to suddenly go nuts:) I am not sure if the crown
>suddenly shrinks putting vicious pressure on his brain or whether its just
>the accumulation of the last three months of having two hunderd "friends"
>who wouldn't talk to you just before you won crown, and are now your closest
>buddies, pals and consorts:) but  Sitting Kings seems to go a bit bonkers
>right about that time:) Any insights?

Ya know Elric, I've observed this too- in the SCA and also among SLUG
Royalty- and I've heard it called 'Lame Duck Syndrome'. Basically, once
your heir is recognized, the realization that This Too Will End hits-
especially if the heir is from another social circle and has expressed
desires to change/undo things from your administration. You realize that
you two hundred new 'friends' will turn their backs on you the moment you
step down. You feel desperate and paranoid. So you feel like you have to
try to get everything done, sealed, set in stone before you crown your
successor. If you didn't have an agenda before, you will.

Doesn't always happen, but when it does, that seems to be the root of it.

'Lainie
-Lame Ducks need to remember that they still have Wings...