[Sca-cooks] Monday Night musings

Isabella di Giovanni isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 13:20:29 PST 2003

Here is where Isabella makes a fool of herself. I don't mean to be stupid, but I don't watch t.v. and haven't heard of fires (for a while. Here in New Mexico, we have TERRIBLE wildfires), but by your addy may I assume that you are in New Zealand? If so, are the fires close to Auckland. I have a very good friend there and haven't heard from him in a while.

YIS,
Isabella di Giovanni
 Kiriel <robyn.hodgkin at affa.gov.au> wrote:WARNING, THIS IS A MUSING AND GOES ON FOR A BIT. AT THE BOTTOM IS THE
CURRENT SAFE LIST IN CASE YOU WANT TO SKIP THE RANT

Today was a day without shadows in Canberra. The thick smoke covered
the city, making the buildings a strange orangy yellow colour and the
grass and trees glow flourescent green. The sun couldn't get through
strongly enough for objects to cast shadows, which was very eerie. Even
in my air conditioned office building the smell of smoke pervades
everything.

People were able to return to their houses, some gutted and others
simply singed. 419 is the most recent count of houses lost to the fire.
Ash coats everything outside, and every tv station shows the devastation
that has taken place; the burnt out streets and the lost bewildered
ex-residents who sift helplessly through the remainders of their homes.

Some vent their frustration at the fates by accusing, demanding answers;
why wasn't their house saved? The poor exhausted and beleaguered firies
and service workers don't need this, luckily the anger of those
complaining is more than matched by others praising the workers'
untiring efforts.

But today has also been a day of relative peace; the winds were low and
the smoke kept the temperatures down a bit. The electricity, gas and
water people have worked tirelessly to restore power to most of
Canberra. The better conditions have also given the fire fighters much
needed time to recover, and to begin the fortifications for the days to
come. The sewerage system has been repaired which is great news.

It seems that the bulldozing, backburning and clearing will be put to
the test tomorrow. Fires still burn along the North Western edge of
Canberra, and with temperatures of 37 predicted along with winds up to
60k, we could well see a repeat of Saturday's disaster, but here in
Belconnen.

We have some advantages now; we know it is coming. Residents are
packing, sorting and preparing for the potential fires. I will not being
going to work tomorrow, nor will most of Belconnen. Before now there
has been little chance of the fires coming as far as my home, which is
why I have been able to keep posting and being a contact point. I
intend to continue to do this, even if evacuated; I have a friend on the
safe side of town upon whose doorstep I will land if I need to. It is
unlikely that I will have to evacuate, but possible.

I took the time though tonight to visit my family. It was a good thing
to do. My cousin Karen was evacuated from Duffy with her new years baby
in arms; Her neighbours battled the spotfires that appeared around the
house but even with the house intact, she couldn't stay there without
electricity or water. The presence of family was comforting to all of
us; we planned and sorted together. I went and bought batteries and
also disposable nappies; apparently they are the very best thing to use
for blocking up downpipes.

The SCAers around Belconnen have been alerted and are prepared or
preparing. I am filling my washing machine, bath, laundry sink and
buckets with water as I type, and organising my possessions for a quick
getaway.

It is hard to decide what I value most. My instruments first, some of
my books (but most are replaceable), photographs, some of my jewellry. I
should take that folder of important papers. The things that people have
made for me; my scrolls. The things I inherited from my grandfather.
Oh no, I cannot possibly fit the carved wooden chest that David Angelin
made. The thought of it going up in flames makes me wince. I can make
new costumes, but I really feel I must try to fit the pavillions in.

And where did I put that antique lace my grandmother gave me? Where are
my favours from friends long gone from the SCA? What should I rescue
for my absent housemate? How am I going to transport the chickens?
Should I take that box of old cards, photos and letters? I will
definitely leave my old diaries of years ago; there are definitely some
things best left behind. It strikes me that the garbage was collected
this morning so the bins are empty; two giant buckets to be filled if
needed.

As I pack and organise and decide, my thoughts are with the many
families who have lost everything, and with the friends of mine who have
faced this danger so bravely in recent days. Chris, Joanna and Murray,
Greg and Laurie, Rhys. Just a handful of the people who hosed and
stomped on and beat out and poured water on the fires around Canberra,
saving their homes and the homes of friends, neighbours and strangers.
This is a frightening time and I hope that those of us who have yet to
face this horror head on will have the same energy and determination as
they. Even more, I hope that we won't have to.

To all those in other cities, thank you for your calls, your thoughts
and your good wishes. The support you have been giving me personally,
and the people of Politarchopolis is very much appreciated by us all.
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

I will continue to keep you posted.

Kiriel du Papillon

You can still email me at kiriel at cybergal.com or phone on 0411 181716 -
you are welcome to forward my updates to those who would like them. Up
to date information on the situation can be found at:
http://www.esb.act.gov.au/media/bushfire.htm#latestfireinfo

-------------
Adair
Adam Reeves
Adam the Renegade
Adele and Jason Ferrier (and family)
Aelfled and Crispin (India and Jaysen Ollerenshaw)
Alex and Rhonda
Alice Balnaves Knight
Alinta Hamilton (Darby)
Andrew and Vonn (lost garage but nothing else)
Andrew Hunt and Ruthie
Artos and Libby
Bess Haddon of York
Beth Schoenberg and family
Blair and Leta
Bran of Locheil
Brigid Costello
Bruce and Katinka
Bruce Probst (Will)
Charles and Kelly Wannop
Charles of the Park and Francesca Cellini
Chris and Jane Tuckwell
Chris Strusz (Sigmund)
Cornelius and Morwenna
Dameon Greybeard
Damon Morrison and Kylie (Paul and Kylie Warren)
Darren Huett
Drake Morgan
Fran Monahan (Juliana Richelot and family)
Frances Polevik
Francois and Aelfrythe
Greg Turkich (and family)
Greig and Jamie
Helen and John Brinsmead (and family)
Jamie (Rhodry)
Jenni Daley (Gwynevar - Libby's apprentice)
Jessica Armstrong
Joanna and Murray Keenan (and family)
John and Sharen Stewart (John of the Hills and Genevieve de Champs)
Jon Price
Karen (Kashia) and Evan
Kate Crowle and Simon Price (Isobel and Allessandro)
Leonie de Grey
Maria Crowley (and family)
Mark Bacon.
Maxx
Melanie Buckley
Oonagh, Jess and Nathanial
Pam Gregson (Emily of Dover)
Penny and Marc Pengryffen
Penny Cilento
Petra Shaw
Rachael Zvodnic
Rachel Magrath-Kerr-Luckman
Rachel Naughton
Rhiannon ferch Ivor (Angela Vivian Bolt - and family)
Rhys Howitt
Richard and Leslie
Rob and Natalie Aked
Rob Giles
Smithfield household
Snorri
Stephen and Mathilde (and family)
Stuart Burns
Sue Hryckiewicz (Selivia)
Tom and Kelly Boulton
Tosti
Trevor Carter (not SCA but known to many local SCAers)
Vicki Whitehorn (Oriel of the Gypsies)
Victor Connor
Ysabeau Chanteuse (Megan and Doug Jackson and family)
Al and the kids
Conrad and Shelby
Sione the Shameless
Thomasine Lestrange (Catherine Sohier)