[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 20 20:55:02 PST 2003

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd commented:
>>I guess I am on the wrong wavelength.  I was thinking of "deep fat frying"
>>as complete submersion in oil, not frying in a small amount of fat.
>
> Deep fat frying can be done in a small amount of fat.  say you're doing
> doughnuts, for example, it doesn't matter if you have 1/2" of fat, or 5" of
> fat, you're deep frying :-)
Well, as I mentioned earlier this probably depends on the/your exact

definition of "deep" frying. So, if you are deep frying whether it is
1/2" or 5" of fat, at what point does it become just frying? 1/4 inch?
only a film of oil? And you said "fat". I assume another qualification,
probably assumed is that this 1/2" (or whatever) of fat is liquid and
not solid.:-) And the food type. Frying frittours in 1/2 inch of oil
might be deep frying, but is frying a ham in 1/2 inch of oil, deep
frying?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com