[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Jan 21 04:16:03 PST 2003

> Well, as I mentioned earlier this probably depends on the/your exact
> definition of "deep" frying. So, if you are deep frying whether it is
> 1/2" or 5" of fat, at what point does it become just frying? 1/4 inch?
> only a film of oil? And you said "fat". I assume another qualification,
> probably assumed is that this 1/2" (or whatever) of fat is liquid and
> not solid.:-) And the food type. Frying frittours in 1/2 inch of oil
> might be deep frying, but is frying a ham in 1/2 inch of oil, deep
> frying?

"Deep frying" implies that the food is suspended in the oil, not in contact
with the cooking vessel at all. You can deep fry donuts in 1/2" of oil
because they float; you can't deep fry a turkey in anything less than a 30
quart pot, because it's too big.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Fer pete's  - Steffan ap Kennydd, don't try this tagline at home!

---