[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 23 06:13:28 PST 2003

Yesterday at work I experimented with immersion frying vs shallow frying,
using the apple pillow receipt Ms. Benson so kindly provided.  I used Granny
Smith apples, a tin-lined copper pan, and clarified butter, and cooked over
charcoal in a bar grate.  Complete immersion gave a puffed appearance to the
pieces of apple, where shallow frying did not.  Therefore, I must revise my
earlier opinion and conclude that immersion frying was indeed being done
before the days of fast-food restaurants.  I look forward to reviewing 18th
cent. receipts in light of this information.  I also theorize that such
frying probably was not done by the less wealthy, because 1) it is not the
most beneficent usage of fat, even though the local fat (butter, lard, olive
oil) would not be too expensive, since the fat itself is not consumed; 2) as
a technique it requires constant attention; 3) as a technique it probably
requires additional equipment, i.e. a saucepan (you could probably hang a
small iron pot over the fire and mess with it that way, or maybe get said
pot or an earthenware vessel that hot on a down-hearth burner, which I may
try at our other kitchen).  I appreciate everyone's patience with and
assistance to me in working this out.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson