[Sca-cooks] Viking Skillet (was Question about Camp Food)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jan 20 22:45:33 PST 2003

At 07:45 PM 1/20/03 EST, you wrote:
>--
>In a message dated 1/19/2003 8:45:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
>writes:
>
>> Nooo... I don't know of any extant recipes from that time and place.
>
>There is Anthimus, however - I would think that would count as the correct
>time period, at least!

Well, Gonza didn't specify time period- only Visigoth or Frankish. And I
will admit a bias, as Frankish to me generally conjures Carolingian.
Anthimus is 6th c, not 8th or 9th, so it didn't occur to me. That and I
really don't know if he had a link to Franish territories or Visigothic
Spain. Theodoric was Ostrogoth, and removed enough... I think of him as
more Byzantine...

I'd look, but Rotrude has absconded with nearly all of my Frankish sources.
Silly girl! ;-)

>Is Anthimus on the web anywhere, or does one of us need to go hunt up the
>book to get the  ISBN number?

Nowhere on the web- well, in bits- turns up in a lot of SCA pages. I did a
Goggle and got lots of mentions, but no on-line text. But here's the cite:

_Anthimus_
Translated and edited by Mark Grant
140pp; 130x220mm; b & w illustrations; paperback
ISBN 0 907325 75 0 £9.99

Prospect Books- http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/index.htm

Looks like a good deal...

'Lainie