[Sca-cooks] deep frying

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 21 09:55:04 PST 2003

Bear wrote:

> Rather than frying in an oil filled pot,
> this was probably done in a skillet with about a 1/4 inch to a 1/2 inch of
> hot oil in the bottom.  The food is turned to complete the frying process.

Our experiments with frying empanadas would agree with this. When we did
them in a modern deep fat fryer, they stayed pasty white and didn't cook
through. When we did them at the same temperature in a half-inch of oil,
they browned nicely. I think it had to do with the hot pan itself being so
close to the dough.

Aelfwynn