[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 20 05:59:35 PST 2003

Look in Sabina Welser.  The term "gebachen in oyl" (literally, bake in oil)
is an instruction to fry in oil.  Rather than frying in an oil filled pot,
this was probably done in a skillet with about a 1/4 inch to a 1/2 inch of
hot oil in the bottom.  The food is turned to complete the frying process.
It's the method used for cooking doughnuts, before deep fat fryers became
kitchen appliances.

Bear