[Sca-cooks] deep frying

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Sun Jan 19 19:58:06 PST 2003

Translations of some sources do seem to imply frying in a "pan"
which to me would imply not deep-frying.

However, I do recall seeing that the online translation of deNola's Catalan
"Libre del Coch" implies what I would consider "deep" frying.

The "Oranges of Xativa" (which I've taken to thinking of as
"cheesecake fritters"), according to the translation, mention
that the dough "goes floating" in the oil or fat.  While that doesn't
necessarily mean a "deep" pot of oil, it does imply enough oil to
submerge the fritters, so it would technically be "deep frying".

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html
(recipe #133)

So, presuming the translation is correct (Yo no habla Espanol) there
was at least deep-frying in Early 16th-century Catalonia...

signed,
El Hermoso Dormido, who just DID a bunch of deep-frying for a feast
this weekend...