[Sca-cooks] Estrella War

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 12:32:51 PST 2003

=C6thelw=FClf wrote:
>  Who all is going ?
>  Should we try and arrange a Cooks List gathering?
>  Any Merchants there that have goodies we would like?
>  Never been to Estrella so had to ask that one.

I'm planning to be at Estrella. I haven't heard recently from the
group i'm supposed to be camping with... guess i need to send them
e-mail to see what is planned.

Last year i got sick at the beginning of the week of Estrella and
managed to miss it, but i went the year before, 2001. It was ferkin'
cold (*literally* around freezing, none of the figuratively or
virtually stuff). So, in preparation i recently bought a small
feather bed to put over the futon i put on my camping cot - on which
i sleep in a down bag with something draped over it, and several
yards of somewhat fulled wool flannel wrapped around my head and
shoulders. I've procrastinated about ordering the cheap silk long
johns set from New Zealand - i better get going if i want them here
in time.

As for food - i don't know if there's a cooks' gathering planned, and
i'm not up for being a planner, but i'm a willing participant - as i
will be bringing my basic camp kitchen - modern equipment, Medieval
food.

Last time i was there (2001) we had a little cooks' get-together,
although i had some trouble finding the location - it was not well
marked on the official map. But we had a pleasant time.

I go to Estrella mostly to shop and to study inter-Kingdom
anthropology, and, if i'm lucky, to meet people. I tend to be content
wandering around on my own, observing. I'm not the sort to sit in
camp waiting for people to invite me out. But i would really actually
like to meet people - that would be even better than wandering around
alone.

I'm trying to practice being more social - one of my "jobs" for
myself this year - so i'd love to know where and how to meet folks
from this list.

Where will i be? Well, i was invited to camp with the Caidan Barony
of Lyondemere (a chance to meet non-Westies).

When i went in 2001 (camped with some Westie stick jocks), i was
encouraged by Gaukler (both a merchant and a Laurel) to enter some
stuff i had with me in the Laurel's Prize Tourney. I don't have
anything new worth showing this time, but i plan to wander in and
admire other folks' stuff. I mean, i've been working on stuff in the
past 2 years, especially cooking, but no non-food things i consider
good enough to display, just lots of prototype garb with problems i
need to work out.

As for what merchants to visit, well, that depends on your interests,
your taste, your needs/desires, and your wallet.

For example, i am very very very very very happy with my historically
accurate late 19th c. saddle bags for US Cavalry re-creators i
purchased from a merchant in 2001. Not SCA period, but *exactly* what
i'd been looking for for years - i get sooooooo bored with the black
leather and chrome studs look around here where i live and i was
thrilled to find nice rich brown leather with brass buckles. I carry
it nearly every day. I can't carry a back pack because of some nerve
damage in my left shoulder - the pressure on my shoulder will cause
several of my fingers go numb. And it's better than a typical woman's
shoulder bag - those straps always slip off my very narrow shoulders.
So that was my best buy (got it the last day, so there was a bit of a
discount, but i'd have bought it anyway).

Merchants Row (or whatever the official name is) was well laid out.
What i do is a quick walk through, so i can see everyone there, then
i go back and actually shop at the places that caught my interest.
There are merchants from nearly every kingdom there. After all,
Estrella is now the second-largest inter-Kingdom war after Pennsic.
And they cover the range from modern to authentic antiques.

Anahita