School Food (was Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP request: Jellied salad???) still OOP

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Jan 23 12:49:00 PST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Nick Sasso wrote:

> ----- Original Message -----  <<from niccolo>>
> > On a related note, I have found in my many school/college/other
> > experiences that no matter the quality or nutritional value of
> > 'institutional food', it will be railed and lambasted as evil and
> the
> > c<<<SNIP>>>  There are most definitely horror stories,
> > to be sure, but they cannot be the norm, or else they would not be
> so
> > fun to tell.
>
> From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
> > > Not true, not true. The people who were the food services director
> and the
> > > dining hall manager when I started college were both replaced by
> the end
> > > of my second year--the cook caught the dh mgr taking a flat of eggs
> from
> > > the cooler on Hallowe'en night without having paid for them first,
> and
> > > since the cook loathed and <<SNIP>>
> > > Margaret
>
> From: "Laura L" <laura at croatan.net>
> > That sounds about like my experience! Well, we went from a *super*
> local
> > catering company at school to some hotel catering company that
> imported most
> > of its folks from "up north" somewhere. <<SNIP>>
> > --Irmgart
>
> Interesting the emotional impact discussions like this have. It is
> similar when talking of feasts hosted by groups and specific cooks; I
> find that the legends become the "truth" as more people trell them . . .
> regardless of the veracity. There are some who will never attend their
> event/feasts again from legends of years gone by.
>
> The second message I cropped above (from Margaret) starts off telling
> me that my experience is not true,

I think I was arguing your comment that institutional foodservice is
universally bad. I may have mis-interpreted. Certainly I need new glasses,
it wouldn't surprise me if I read it wrong.

then goes on to tell a personal
> experience that evidently is more true?

Evidence disproving the aforementioned (but possibly misinterpreted)
blanket statement.

I missed the direction that was
> headed.  The second one starts off telling us that there was a "super"
> foodservice that was followed by a bad one.  That situation suggests
> that institutional food is not universally bad after all . . . they may
> even get a bad wrap to start the race just because they are
> institutional food service.
>
> pacem et bonum,
> niccolo difrancesco

Margaret, who is trying to remember where she put that reminder card from
the optometrist