[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #3125 - 15 msgs/was Jellied Salad, now Fried Bologna!

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jan 23 17:52:05 PST 2003

Also sprach Marcus Loidolt:
>Hey!! I LIKE FRIED BOLOGNA!!! The good stuff, thick
>cut, homemade, from the butcher, we have an old
>fashioned german butcher here in Indy, also in my
>father's home town(stateside at least) in Pierz, MN.
>   Sometimes called FleischKase, or 'meat cheese'
>grilled and served as a patty in a sandwich with and
>egg?!? Marvelous!!
>  Course, then there is Ring Bologna, which I also
>loved grilled or fried, with hot strong mustard and
>dark rye bread and butter!
>
>Ach, wie smeckt so gut sie geben mir himmel!!
>
>Johann
>mit ein bichen kraut, gel!!

So, can anybody explain to me about the tradition of PA Dutch (and
German -- not to mention Kosher) bologna? It doesn't resemble
mortadella di Bologna, and the last time I checked, neither PA nor
Germany were in northern Italy. Why is this stuff bologna, and not
generic/specific/wurst or kishka?

Adamantius